Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: Teen Titans volume 1



Pages: 168
Genre: Young adult, graphic novel, comics, action
Publisher: DC Comics
Rating: 4 stars



Goodreads description: As a part of the acclaimed DC Comics -The New 52 event of September 2011, writer Scott Lobdell (X-Men, The Age of Apocalypse) and artist Brett Booth (JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA) deliver a fresh new take on DC Comics' teen heroes, the Teen Titans. Tim Drake, Batman's former sidekick, is back in action when an international organization called Project N.O.W.H.E.R.E. seeks to capture, kill or co-opt super powered teenagers. As Red Robin, he's going to have to team up with the mysterious and belligerent powerhouse thief known as Wonder Girl, the hyperactive speedster calling himself Kid Flash and few more all-new teen super-heroes to stand any chance at all against N.O.W.H.E.R.E. But as Superboy meets them for the first time , the Titans have to wonder, is he a friend - or a foe?

Collects Teen Titans #1-7.

My review: One of the cool things about the New 52--not just for this series, but others--is that if you've ever been curious about a comic and wanted to try reading one this is a good time to do it. It starts from the beginning, so you don't have to jump into it already started. Teen Titans, in particular, appealed to me because I've watched the cartoon on Cartoon Network. I wanted to see a different take on something familiar.

I really like this first volume of Teen Titans (the New 52). It introduces all (or maybe most) of the members of Teen Titans. It is not entirely in depth about everyone's histories, but certainly that will come later. There are several problem makers for the Teen Titans which make an appearance. I will expect to see more of them in following volumes.

The main villain that takes center stage in this volume is evil organization Project Nowhere. To combat this threat the Teen Titans are formed. The Titans are Red Robin, Wonder Girl, Solstice, Kid Flash, Skitter, Bunker, and a couple of other characters. There is some diversity with Bunker being from Mexico, Skitter is African American and Solstice is Indian.

There is also an appearance by Virgil Hawkins. I had not heard or seen him since the cartoon Static Shock. That got me a bit nostalgic. Later if he joins the Teen Titans as Static Shock it would be awesome. If not it's fine. I still love that he showed up.

I think I have seen Red Robin in cartoons, but everyone else is new to me in Teen Titans. So I did some research. Mainly about when the characters first made an appearance. A lot of them are new and some have been around a bit longer. Anyway didn't mean to go off topic. It's just all so interesting to me.

Already I have characters that I really like. They are Kid Flash and Solstice. The artwork and story of their meeting was my favorite part of volume one. Kid Flash got curious about a glowing coming from a room located in a Project Nowhere facility. It was a bit of a scary surprise. However, he still helped her get out. Love how he goes around looking for something to wrap around her as her power is spreading over her body. Two whole pages showing his path, numbered since he moves fast. Beautiful. I will be anticipating subsequent volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment